Incorporated on May 3, 1951, McDonough Telephone Cooperative was formed to bring telephone service to rural west central Illinois. The initial goal was to acquire 500 members interested in receiving reliable telephone service. Today, MDTC has over 3,700 members who subscribe to a broad range of telecommunication services through the co-op.
McDonough Telephone Cooperative is made up of 12 exchanges which cover 20 communities: Adair, Bardolph, Blandinsville, Brooklyn, Colchester, Colusa, Doddsville, Fandon, Good Hope, Industry, Littleton, Lomax, New Philadelphia, Raritan, Sciota, Smithshire, Swan Creek, Tennessee, Walnut Grove and Youngstown. The cooperative is governed by a board of directors representing the different exchanges and elected to three-year terms. Each year at the cooperative’s annual meeting, the membership has the opportunity to vote on who should sit on the board.
A cooperative-wide upgrade project was completed in August 2003. As a result of this work, every MDTC member is able to receive high-speed DSL Internet. In 2005 the cooperative expanded its capabilities again and added digital video to its menu of more traditional services: local calling, long distance calling, calling features, voice mail, business phone systems, special circuits and dial-up Internet.
MDTC strives to provide its membership with state-of-the-art technology coupled with exceptional customer service. The seventh principle followed by cooperatives is concern for community. McDonough Telephone’s responsibility to its members goes beyond providing good services at good prices. The cooperative and its employees participate in and support the communities they serve by donating time, money and services to help these areas grow and prosper.